SVR3 passwd changes mode of passwd file

Miles O'Neal meo at stiatl.UUCP
Thu Sep 22 00:17:36 AEST 1988

In article <3394 at dunkshot.mips.COM>, dce at mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:

> It turns out that the System V (or at least SVR3) version of the
> passwd command will cause the resultant passwd file to be mode
> 0444.  I have had a couple of complaints about this, and would like
> to decide on a solution.

I suggest you tell the complainers to always leave the passwd file
0444. NOBODY besides root should have access to that, and root
can always w! from vi to force a write. User-friendly interfaces
can set their uid to root, as long as they are smart enough not
to become dangerous, or TOO friendly to non-root users...