make temp files?

David I. Berg dberg at cod.NOSC.MIL
Thu Sep 22 13:47:50 AEST 1988

In article <48200010 at hcx1>, ldh at hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

> I was wondering if there is some "readymade" way that a shell can create a
> unique temporary file, as in the C routine "mktemp(XXXXX)".  Thanks!

The symbolic variable $$ will take on the value of the process_id
executing the shell.  I use this all the time to create uniquely named
temporary files; eg. /usr/tmp/$$.

--
David I. Berg (dberg at nosc.mil)
GENISYS Information Systems, Inc., 4250 Pacific Hwy #118, San Diego, CA 92110
MILNET: dberg at nosc.mil
UUCP:   {ihnp4 akgua decvax dcdwest ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!dberg