Sys.Admin.Help.Replies

smiller at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu smiller at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 27 05:42:00 AEST 1988

Here is the list of replies I received from my request for info. on System
Administrator training courses. I hope people find it useful. Thanks to the
people who did respond. I have left names and addresses in tact so further
contact is possible by others besides myself.

Steven Miller
smiller at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu

Replies follow:

You have the same problem we have over here.  Such classes are hard to find.
They are more difficult to find if you run BSD Unix.  ATT runs a lot of
classes over in Cinncinati and in Chicago.  They are not cheap.
I do not have their number handy.  send mamil if you want it.

I would try to go to Usenix in San Diego this Winter.  You will get a pretty
good set of ideas there. There is a large LAN conference coming up
sponserd by USENIX as well.   It is on the west coast in November.  Look in
comp.org.usenix for details.  It will be very good.  There are many levels of
sysadmin work to consider.  Some is nasty bit police stuff and some is
interesting code work.  Gota be able to handle and enjoy both kinds.

There are some good classes out in Cambridge by Institute for Advanced
Professional Studies. Call 617 497 2075 for information.  We have had their
instructors here for internals classes in the past and they seem pretty
skilled.

I am in Urbana so give a call or send mail if I can be of assistance.
Where might you be working?

		Bruce Zimmerman
		Gould CSD
		1101 East University
		Urbana Il.
		217 384 8500

From: cdin-1!icdi10!fr at bpa.bell-atl.com

SCO has regular courses for what you want. Some of their Advanced Product
Centers also offer them.
Check with SCO.

SCO is the Santa Cruz Operation.
It is the main Xenix reseller in the world. They use the Microsoft connection
somehow as MS is too involved with DOS. But they work rather closely together.

They have about 1000 employees.

If you have smail running you can just say (danh at sco.com) to your friendly sending system.
If you don't know how, just hang it to the end of something you send to me and
I'll forward.

But what do you need from SCO?
Ask and you shall receive.
FR

>From mtxinu!sybase!bosco!ben at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU Wed Sep 21 15:31:59 1988

the manufacturer of your system(s) may offer one. contact them.
short of that, i know pyramid technology in mountain view, ca. offers a good
one.

...ben
--
ben ullrich				<something silly re: disclaimer>
sybase, inc.

>From bigtex!mybest!mybest6!paddock at astro.as.utexas.edu Fri Sep 23 19:01:30 1988

AT&T offers courses in various aspects of UNIX, including
systems administration.  Call 1-800-TRAINER for more info.

--
Steve Paddock  uunet!bigtex!mybest!paddock
               ut-emx!mybest!paddock