more unix jokes - /dev/null

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 06:59:23 AEST 1988

In article <7104 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
# In article <8572 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
# >In article <1247 at imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kyriazis at turing.cs.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) writes:
# >>	command | vax
# >
# >No, the pipe will constipate since the "vax" command (equivalent to :)
# >does not read its input.
#
# No, the command will abort with SIGPIPE.  the vax command will exit,
# leaving no reader on the pipe.  the first time command goes to write
# to its stdout, a SIGPIPE will result.  (one may presume command will
# eventually write, otherwise what was there to send to /dev/null?)

	Funny, I don't have any problems with piping something like
cat /etc/passwd | /bin/true... no errors, no bad status, no nothing.
except for one extra newline, if that counts...

# --
# John F. Haugh II (jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division
#
#       "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
#                    entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias
--
 "		"Does anyone have a spare 40 Gig board for my mind?"
Roan Anderson, Software Engineer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HRejiggerer, UniSoft Corp.