multiple lp interfaces for same device

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Sat Sep 10 01:29:44 AEST 1988

I recently ran into something which suprised me.  We have two HP LaserJet II
Printers on our Prime EXL316 (ATT unix v.3.0).  One of them died, so I wanted
to redirect the output to the other printer.  It was better for this to be
handled by the spooler since the Prime also acts as a file and print server
to a large network of PCs, which have their "nearest" printer name hard
coded into their login batch files.

I thought lpsched was smart enough to handle multiple interfaces to the same
/dev, but when I used the sysadm menus to change the port of the lost printer
to that of the good one, I ended up with "mixed" printouts as two lp interface
programs ran at once.  (I worked around this by creating a new interface
which lp-d the requests to the good printer).

Is the ATT unix lpsched really unable to handle this case?  Is there some
other way to handle this problem that I've missed?  Can you have different
drivers for the same printer, or must you use the -o feature of lp to get
different handling of files destined for a given device?

Thanks in advance
	-dan

Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102