Exabyte tape drive on uVaxII?

Hurf Sheldon hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Tue Sep 13 23:21:43 AEST 1988

	We presently have Ultrix2.0 & 2.3 uVaxen with rqdx3/rd53's and
	sigma/maxtor disk systems being backed up remotely & directly
	to a TK50. We are looking at alternatives to speed up both the
	dump and restore process.

	Has anyone experience with the TD Systems Viking QTO/Exabyte
	8mm videotape subsystem? This 'tmscp compatible'
	drive system has come to my attention and the VMS based performance
	comparisons show it to be 6 time faster than a TK50 for VMS
	backups. Under Ultrix I assume there would be a corresponding
	gain but what about restores? New pricing from Trimarchi makes it
	attractive vs the TK70 and tapes hold 2GB at $10 each as opposed
	to .3GB at $45.00 each.

	Thanks in advance,
	hurf
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf at ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf at CRNLION
     369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
     I sold my Elan, got a job in science; Now, no one takes me seriously.