Workstations: owner root access (summary)

Tom Chmara tpc at leibniz.UUCP
Sat Sep 3 06:40:00 AEST 1988

Sorry for the long delay in actually getting a reply out; between
going on course and losing my feed, it's taken a while to get it
together...

My request dealt with workstation root access:  whether there were
any good reasons for providing this and if so how extensively.
Note that we run an NFS system; my summary on NFS security (posted
to comp.unix.wizards) might be a good read for anyone interested
in this topic.

Excerpts follow...note that some messages (containing duplicate
information) were not republished.  Referenced messages were not printed
in favour of printing the messages containing the references.
 I appreciate your input, but I'd like to keep this posting as short as I can.

From: david at geac.UUCP (David Haynes)
Date: 13 Aug 88 11:26:28 GMT

As a system administrator in a (small) workstation environment, I
think I should make a small plea for a voice of reason here. I don't,
as a rule, give out root passwords to every Tom, Dick or Susan who
asks for it, but I do give root access to those individuals who are
competant enough (in my opinion) to have it. Why so?

The releasing of the root password, even on a single workstation, can
spell some long hours of recovery on your part as the result of a
typical novice Unix user's mistake (such as rm * .tmp in the root
directory). However, it is equally a pain in the ass to have to
su somebody in and out of root perms because they are installing
a package on their workstation that has root level daemons or
requires other "high" privileges. Basically, I try to use common sense
wherever possible.