Curses differences on 4.3 and Ultrix V2.2

Joel Spolsky spolsky-avram at CS.YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 18 15:45:35 AEST 1988

In article <3711 at cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk> Peter_Cutting at newcastle.ac.uk (P. G. Cutting) writes:

| I wrote a simple windowing system using Curses on a 4.3 machine. Eventually
| it worked but now when I recompile it and run it on an Ultrix machine the
| windows get messed up. I have checked Termcap entries and STTY entries which
| seem OK, and so I conclude that there are differences between Curses on the
| two machines. Can any one back up this conclusion and maybe suggest where the
| problem might be.

I also noticed that Ultrix Curses were weird. I am sure that Ultrix
Curses are very different than (from?) System V Curses; they could
also be quite different from BSD Curses. One problem I noted with
Ultrix Curses is that only one highlighting mode is supported.

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky at yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky at yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause
some watery tart threw a sword at you!!"