X/Open compliance testing.

Geoff Clare gwc at root.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 22:34:43 AEST 1988

In article <592 at quando.UUCP> harriman at quando.UUCP (Jay Harriman) writes:
>In article <339 at Grumpy.UUCP> wgh at Grumpy.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) writes:

>>Is there a program or package that can check a group of C programs
>>to verify that they conform to the X/Open portability standards?

>As far as I know, there is no test package available for testing
>pieces of software for compatibility to the X/Open Portability Guide.

>For software to comply to the standard, you would have to make sure
>that the commands, subroutines, header values, etc, etc, used in the
>product were only those described in the XPG. Even more important
>and more difficult is to make sure that these elements have been
>applied with *only* the functionality as specified in the XPG.

If all you want to do is to verify that the function calls in a C program
have the correct arguments and return values for X/Open, you can easily
build your own lint library from the definitions in the XPG and install
it as /usr/lib/llib-lxopen.ln (or /usr/lib/lint/... depending on your
system).  You should then use the lint flags '-n -lxopen' to obtain
lint checking against the xopen library instead of the standard C library
for your system.

Checking that programs don't use non-X/Open header file definitions is more
of a problem.

--

Geoff Clare    UniSoft Limited, Saunderson House, Hayne Street, London EC1A 9HH
gwc at root.co.uk   ...!mcvax!ukc!root44!gwc   +44-1-606-7799  FAX: +44-1-726-2750