Dangers of vi & passwd (Was Re: SVR3 passwd changes mode of passwd file)

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Wed Sep 28 02:35:53 AEST 1988

This is a summary of the responses I received when I asked "why shouldn't
I use vi to edit /etc/passwd?"

The reason is simple: I load up the file with vi.  Someone else issues a
passwd command to change their passwd.  I save my changes.  Poor someone
else looses out.  I guess I should have thought of that! :-)  Thanks
much to all of you who mailed or posted responses.

	-Dan

--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag			7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130