"cut" needed to run CC

Edward C Horvath ech at poseidon.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 04:14:12 AEST 1988

In article <990 at acornrc.UUCP> bob at acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>The CC script which runs the AT&T C++ compiler makes reference
>to a program called "cut", which does not exist on BSD systems.

'cut' selects character-columns (-c) or tab-separated fields (-f) from the
named files or stdin, and copies the result to stdout.  e.g.
echo "How are you today" | cut -d" " -f1,3
will yield "How you". (the -d overrides the separator character).

It isn't (quite) a database projection, in that cut -f3,1 is the same as
cut -f1,3.  Some Unices may have my ncut(1) command that does -f3,1 properly.

More details: see any AT&T Unix User's Manual.

=Ned Horvath=