SysV Signals and System Calls

Marc Teitelbaum marc at vangogh.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 23 18:41:47 AEST 1988

In article <149 at poseidon.UUCP> fred%athsys.uucp at sun.com (Fred Cox) writes:
>We have a large program initially written on suns, which we now need
>to port to various System V machines.  The problem that we are coming
>up with is that in BSD 4.2 systems, systems calls are not disturbed
>by signals, while System V system calls return an error.  We need signals
>for timer events.  What do people do in those cases where they are
>using packages, like X Windows, which wait in system calls (read) while
>signals may be occurring?

Restart every interrupted system call yourself.

(sheesh - job control is going to a real surprise for POSIX implementations
which don't support restarted system calls)

Marc

Marc Teitelbaum			+1-415-643-6448
457 Evans Hall
Computer Systems Research Group,  CSRG / DEC
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720