VT100 terminfo problem

Dermot Tynan dtynan at sultra.UUCP
Tue Sep 20 04:16:46 AEST 1988

In article <3340 at dunkshot.mips.COM>, dce at mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:

> My question is this:  Do some VT100s not do XON/XOFF handshaking
> properly, or is it more likely that we aren't doing XON/XOFF
> correctly?
>
> David Elliott		dce at mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce

I have a similar problem.  I wrote the control software for a client, which
includes an RS-232 port for sending commands, and receiving status.  I wrote
an advanced (in *my* opinion, anyway) serial driver, including X-ON/X-OFF
pacing.  I used a beat-up Hazeltine to debug the code, and the old dog ran
to 19.2Kb (without pacing!) no problems.  My problems started when I put a
VT100 on there.  Every once in a while, the whole thing hangs.  It looks as
though the VT100 sent an X-OFF, without an X-ON.  If I enter and exit the
SETUP menu, on the terminal, the problem goes away.  Also, it stops when I
run the terminal at 4.8Kb or less.  At 19.2, the terminal blasts pacing
controls down the wire, like they were going out of business.  It's a real
pain, because the system starts to detect major problems when it sees the
terminal as being offline all of a sudden.  I can't find anything in my code
which could cause this (of course, that's not to say that there isn't anything
there :-), and at this stage, I'm considering specifying the use of a terminal
other than the VT100.  Can you beleive that antique Hazeltine can handle the
speed, and the VT100 can barely handle 9600 baud without pacing the interface?
Anyway, I too would like to hear of other peoples problems in this regard.
						- Der

--
Reply:	dtynan at sultra.UUCP		(Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan