yacc limitations

Mike McNelly mike at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Wed Sep 21 02:03:24 AEST 1988

> I am trying to expand an already large yacc grammar.  Unfortunately,
> I have hit a limit on the number of terminal tokens.  Does anybody
> know a way around this?  On VAX Ultrix the default limit appears to
> be 127 as shown in the following excerpt from the y.output file.
> This also appears to be the limit on HP, but Pyramid allows for up to
> 600 terminals.  Can I either increase or bypass this limit somehow?

This limit is usually hard set in the code.  Yacc on HP workstations has
been modified so that many of the limits are configurable at run time.
A few, like the limit on the number of terminals, are still hard coded,
but the limits have been bumped up to large values.  After release 5.2
(circa 1986) the number of allowed terminals is 2000.

Mike McNelly
Hewlett Packard Co.
hplabs!hpfcla!mike