inode amnesia, no disk space and uucico

D. Mathis dave at elandes.UUCP
Sun Sep 25 23:25:31 AEST 1988

In article <58 at n8ino.UUCP>, craig at n8ino.UUCP (R. Craig Peterson ) writes:
: In article <585 at elandes.UUCP> dave at elandes.UUCP (Dave Mathis @ ELAN designs) writes:
:
: :Recently my system lost some inodes and decided that the disk was full
: :(it wasn't).  In itself, that wasn't too disasterous, a simple set of
: :fsck's can take care of the results.  The real problem started when
: :Dave Mathis                    UUCP oliveb!elandes!dave
:
: There is a known bug in most UNIX releases that causes systems to
: loose track of free inodes when there are alot of file
: deletions/creations, as is the case with running news.
:
: BTW I think a corrected code fragment was posted to the net, give or
: take a year ago...  I don't know if I still have it around.
:
: R. Craig Peterson (N8INO)

I guess I didn't make my main concern evident.  The real problem is not
the lost inodes, I know that at times the kernel loses track of the free
list.  The REAL PROBLEM is that uucico doesn't check for valid writes
when it is receiving files, thereby creating any number of 'valid' 0 length
files.  I beleive it should fail on the write and fail on the receive.

--
	Dave Mathis, ELAN designs           UUCP  ...oliveb!elandes!dave