munged root fs on SunOS 3.X (was Re: umount, and SunOS 3.X)

Jon A. Tankersley zjat02 at apctrc.UUCP
Tue Sep 13 04:51:37 AEST 1988

In article <13448 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <520 at cra2.apctrc.UUCP> zjat02 at apctrc.UUCP (Jon A. Tankersley)
>writes:
>>rc.boot trashes /etc/mtab before running /etc/umount -at nfs.  This leaves
>>potential garbage on remote systems /etc/rmtab (remote mtab).
>
>It does more than just that.  rc.boot is always run, even on a single-
>user boot.  If your root file system gets corrupted---and as most of us
>know, anything that *can* go wrong *will* go wrong (someone at Sun
>seems to have forgotten)---the code that clobbers /etc/mtab will cause
>a continuous series of crashes and auto-reboots.  The only way to
>recover is to boot from another machine, or from the distribution
>tapes.  But if this is the first machine on your network, or the only
>one with source . . . ?  (Praise to Aule for mini-roots.)

I've been able to fix this problem by -not- rebooting single user.  It
seems to be able to fix most of the problems in the root and reboot.  I then
halt that reboot and boot single user.  A pain.  But it works.

-tank-

	You
	Quessed
	It

--
#include <disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */