BSD vs. System V, one last thing...

Peyton Yanchurak pwy at pyuxe.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 07:57:23 AEST 1988

In article <8525 at smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> You have to be careful with UNIX System V version numbers.  Release
> 2 Version 2 for the 3B2. for example, did NOT implement demand paging
> (that occurred with Release 2 Version 4 for 3B2).  I don't think
> there was a Release 2.2 for any architecture, but there was a Release
> 2.1 for the 3B2.

Actually System V Release 2 Version 4 was the first paging release
for the 3B20 not the 3B2.  It came out in January of 1985.
It had only limited distribution.  The paging release
for the VAX (Release 2 Version 2) was actually released a
month earlier that the 3B20  release. Release 2.1 (Dec 85)
was the first generally available paging release for the 3B20.
The first paging version for the 3B2 was Release 2.1.
It should also be noted that:
Release 2.1 for the 3B2 != Release 2.1 for the 3B20
Release 2.1 for the 3B2 had such features as synchronous
writes (open with the O_SYNC flag) and gradual/periodic
buffer flushing (NAUTOUP and BDFLUSHR tunable parameter).
These features didn't appear on the 3B20 until Release 2.1.1

The naming of  new  releases for Release 2 derivatives
got messed up because AT&T put out additional maintenance
releases for the 3B20 to support new hardware (diagnostics,
floating point, tape and disk drives) and kept
on using version numbers in sequence.
The naming scheme for Release 3 derivatives seems
to be logically more consistant.

			Peyton Yanchurak
			pyuxe!pwy