PC/VI Wanted... Any pointers?

John P. Nelson jpn at genrad.uucp
Tue Apr 25 04:18:48 AEST 1989

>>	I am looking for a vendor that sells a version of VI that wil
>>run on an IBM/PC... 8088 based machine.
>
>"The Z Text Editor", Manx Software Systems, Inc., P.O.Box 55,
>Shrewsbury, N.J. 07701.  (201) 542 2121.  [Taken from the 1986 manual.]

Yow!  Let me recommend AGAINST the "Z" editor from Manx.  While they
will sell it as a standalone package (it's normally bundled with their
compiler), it is EXPENSIVE to buy that way (cost as much as MKS vi, if
I remember correctly), and is nowhere near as powerful.  It is evident
that Z was compiled with a "small" memory model:  Editing is limited to
files about 32K or less in length, and is missing lots of features that
vi users will sorely miss.

     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!jpn
smail:	jpn at genrad.com