extracting tar files with absolute pathnames relatively

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at dasys1.UUCP
Fri Apr 28 05:27:58 AEST 1989

In article <1501 at cfa205.cfa250.harvard.edu> todd at cfa250.harvard.edu (Todd Karakashian) writes:
>I am in posession of tapes containing tarfiles with absolute
>pathnames.  What I would like to do is to extract these files into a
>different tree structure than they were tarred from.

I'm at a slight disadvantage, this site has not got the original message,
but:

	I take it you're running some version of tar which does not have
	the 'A' option? Stripping leading '/' from a restore is precisely
	what that option does.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr at dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr