Diff between set and setenv

Paul English x3168 pme at io.UUCP
Wed Apr 26 00:21:05 AEST 1989

In article <2363 at solo11.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>leein at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>\2. What variables should go to .login only, and what variables should
>\   go to .cshrc only?
>
>.login: variables you only want to set ONCE (typically environment variables)
>	- setenv PATH $HOME/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin

Some users find it preferable to set the path explicitly in their
.cshrc so commands invoked remotely with rsh will use the correct
path.

Also, `su username' will begin a new shell as `username', reading only
the .cshrc (for csh). However, `su - username' will also read the
.login file.

Also (I know most people already know this), make sure any aliases you
want are set in your .cshrc instead of your .login. The way many
people setup their window system environments, the .login file is not
read at the start of the shell for each new window.
--
Paul English
  Interleaf: pme at ileaf.com, ...!{sun!sunne,mit-eddie}!ileaf!pme