Missing space in root

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Wed Apr 12 10:59:51 AEST 1989

I run a pair of 3B2/400 (SV R3.1) computers and just noticed a strange
thing.  A variant of df reports that I have used 11421 KB in the root
directory of one machine, and 9832 KB in the root of the other.  I've
added up all the files in root of each machine and the result is far
short of the numbers that bdf reports (eg., for mccc, the toatal is
about 6 MB against the 11421 KB).  I assume that some of the space can
be accounted for by the directory files themselves -- but not 5+ MB
worth!  Can anyone suggest what is happening?  On mccc, / has the
following directories: /bck, /bin, /boot, /dev, /dgn, /etc, /floppy,
/mnt, /install, /lib, /lost+found, /save, and /shlib, plus two other
file systems (/usr and /usr2) on the same machine plus another file
system (/MC3) connected via RFS.

Thanks,
Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College					CompuServe: 70240,334