Is there a way of putting processing jobs in the background?

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Fri Apr 14 08:12:01 AEST 1989

In article <6323 at homxc.ATT.COM>, bgt at homxc.ATT.COM (B.TONGUE) writes:

> I've written a screen-oriented program which takes 5 or so minutes
> to process.  Is there a way to put the process in the background
> *after* the selection has been made?  (I'm not talking about ampersands;
> isn't there a command bg or fg?)
>
> Thanks!

If you are using the C-shell, just type ^Z (control-Z), or whatever your  "suspend" character is set to, and type "bg" to put it in the background.  To regain control (foreground), type "fg" if that is the only job you have in the background, or get a list of the jobs with the "jobs" command and type "fg %x" where x is the number of the job (not the PID).