How can I find out cc or cpp symbols?

Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl abcscnge at csuna.csun.edu
Sun Apr 30 06:27:14 AEST 1989

In article <1954 at trantor.harris-atd.com> bbadger at x102c.harris-atd.com (Bernie Badger Jr.) writes:
>Is there a way to find out what macros are defined?  It's particularly hard
>to predict which names will be _predefined_.

I am also interested in finding out about what are the "manifest defines" of
a CC implementation.  I write code for 5 different platforms, and would
like it to be semi-portable (e.g.

#if vax || M_8086
	read(fd,&data,nbytes);
	swab(&data,&data,nbytes);	/* swap for byte swapped machine */
#endif

	System				Manifest Defines
	------------------		---------------------
	SCO Xenix SysV/286		(M_8086 or some such)
	AT&T 3B15			(don't know)
	VAX/Ultrix			(vax)
	Motorola System V/68		(m68k????)
	ZEUS (Zilog Unix Sys III)	(z8000)

Each of these has their own manifest defines, but they are not well
documented (if at all).  IMHO, the man page for cc(1) or cpp(1) should
specify what that particular preprocessor implementation pre-defines.
I like the suggestion for #dump "file".  Did anyone suggest this to
the X3J11 committee?

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge