anonymous ftp on a 3b2

Steve Alexander stevea at laidbak.UUCP
Mon Apr 24 08:09:27 AEST 1989

In article <3745 at sdsu.UUCP> arul at sdsu.UUCP (Arul Ananthanarayanan) writes:
>I seem to have run into some difficulty in trying to set up
>anonymous ftp on a local 3b2/310 SYSV release 3.1, with WIN/TCP2.1
>Specifically the "ls" command does not work. I can log in and cd and
>use get and put to receive files, but I can't see anything.

It sounds like your ls was linked with the shared C library (-lc_s).
In ~ftp, make a directory called ``shlib'' and copy /shlib/libc_s to
~ftp/shlib.  That should fix the problem.

Ftpd does a chroot(2) system call when the anonymous user logs in, in order
to provide protection for files on the system.  After the chroot, /shlib
is not accessible for ~ftp/bin/ls, so the ftp area needs to have its own
copy.

Alternatively, if you have source, you can recompile ls and link it with
the non-shared library and avoid all of this hassle.

Steve Alexander, TCP/IP Development | stevea%laidbak at sun.com
Lachman Associates, Inc.            | ...!sun!laidbak!stevea