slicing the date

carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 6 01:17:00 AEST 1989

RE : Slicing the Date

The end of the saga - I wrote the original note because I thought that
BSD must have some simple 'cut' equivalent that I missed somehow. Apparently
that is not the case. I didn't want to use a C program because of quota
problems, and I am *not* the SysAdmin, so installing a different version
is not an option. I did receive several interesting solutions, but none
that much better than using ksh pattern operators to simulate 'cut'. Because
of the way ksh works, I only have to slice the date once, on login, not
every time the prompt is displayed, so overhead is not that much of a
concern. Many thanks to those who responded.

Alan M. Carroll          "And then you say,
carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu     We have the Moon, so now the Stars..."  - YES
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll