Future at Berzerkeley

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Apr 2 18:46:11 AEST 1989

>My addition to the SysV versus Berkeley argument is:  when is AT&T
>going to put in a more advanced filesystem and memory management?

S5R4.

>Running large applications on BSD machines is much less painful than
>it is under vanilla SysV.

What about it is less painful?  Surely it's not just that BSD has paging,
because S5 has had paging since Release 2 Version 2 on the VAX and some
unknown flavor of R2, I think, on the 3B2.

S5R4's VM will be derived from the SunOS 4.x VM (complete with "mmap").

>And this 14 character bugaboo and disk fragmentation is just driving me
>nuts.

S5R4 will support the BSD file system, 255-character file names and all.
(Since the code will be derived from the SunOS code, it won't have the
8-bit-character bugaboo of the vanilla BSD version.)

>But give me job control and I can live with it.

S5R4 will have that as well.