csh: precedence of ; and &

Brian Holtz holtz at bern.uucp
Wed Apr 12 02:45:47 AEST 1989

How can I effectively invert the precedence of ; and & in csh?

If I alias mymake to

    date >>! make.\!*; make \!* >>&! make.\!* &; tail -f make.\!*
and invoke it, csh puts both the date and the make command in the
same background job, and runs tail.  Instead, I want it to
run date, then start make in the background, and then run tail.
I don't want to enclose the make ... & command in  a parenthesized
subshell, because then I lose job control over the process.