VMS: logicals UNIX: links, but...

epmcmanus at csvax1.cs.tcd.ie epmcmanus at csvax1.cs.tcd.ie
Sun Apr 23 09:12:30 AEST 1989

In article <1009 at quintus.UUCP>, ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> Bourne shell:	myprog <source >destination 2>error-log
>
> VMS DCL:	RUN MYPROG /INPUT=SOURCE /OUTPUT=DESTINATION /ERROR=ERROR-LOG

In fact this is not really what you want in VMS, since /input etc will cause
the program to be run in a subprocess, whereas ordinarily programs are all
run in the same process.  So the real VMS syntax is:

$ define/user sys$input source
$ define/user sys$output destination
$ define/user sys$error error-log
$ run myprog

which I think is sufficiently gross to discourage people from using
redirection as the main technique to specify files for programs to use.
--
Eamonn McManus		emcmanus at cs.tcd.ie	uunet!mcvax!cs.tcd.ie!emcmanus