VMS: logicals UNIX: links, but...

Joe Smith jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 12 08:20:40 AEST 1989

I've also wondered if VMS-style logicals are something missing from
UNIX.  But I came to the conclusion that environment variables could
function almost as well, given a program that was _designed_ to use
them.  Are you sure that there are situations that a properly designed
program CAN'T work with environment variables?  Aren't there examples
of UNIX programs/systems as complex as you describe that work (I'm
asking, I don't know the answer)?

If it's program design that's the problem, let's not discuss "fixing"
UNIX.

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu
 Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics          (215) 898-8348
 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6059