System V job control?

Brian Smithson brian at motcsd.UUCP
Fri Apr 21 08:50:36 AEST 1989

    I recall that there recently was discussion on this topic, so perhaps
    someone who was following it could summarize.

    Please *e-mail* to your responses to bill at mcspdx.pdx.csd.mot.COM
    (...uunet!apple!motcsd!mcspdx!bill) and not to me.  Posting your
    summary won't help because Bill can't access netnews.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Brian

Is there a package/utility available for System V machines which performs
job control functions?  Functions required include starting, stopping,
suspending and resuming jobs. Monitoring, prioritizing and queuing were
all words which appeared in this requirement and I am wondering if anyone
can provide all these facilities without requiring use of a special shell.
We do have Korn but it does not do job control.

I gather there was a recent discussion of job control on the Net.  Would
someone please summarize it and e-mail to me?

Thanks

Bill Jackson        Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
                    12655 SW Center Street, #400, Beaverton, Oregon 97005-1601.
Voice: (503) 643 6247     Fax: (503) 643 7385         {...motcsd}!mcspdx!bill

BTW:
I have found that the Korn shell I am running is a REAL cpu hog.  We run the
sar stuff and it always appears at the TOP of the list!!  Whats more, I am
the only person who uses it and it appears at the top even when I log on
and sit idle all day! Any ideas?

Bill

--
-Brian Smithson, Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
 10700 N. De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA, (408)864-2225