Saving Some Bucks - How?

Noel Del More noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM
Sat Apr 1 11:10:15 AEST 1989

When I set up uBBS-NH as a bbs/archive, I thought I would be smart and
save myself some bucks by having measured service on the three incoming
lines to this site.

New England Telephone requires that all lines to a residence have the
same level of service, and since measured service had always saved us
money on our "regular" telephone, and since I originally thought that I
would have mainly incoming calls on the bbs/archive, I had the same
service installed.

Well things have changed, ubbs-nh is slowly becoming a mail hub for the
area, and yesterday I received a shocking phone bill, the majority of the
charge being for excessive "units".

Seems to me that I have only a couple of choices:

	1.  Convert to standard service.  Which would increase the
	    monthly bill for the three lines to about $100.00 a
            month, which I really cannot afford.

	2.  Convert to standard service and charge for access, news
	    feeds etc.  Which, since it was provided to me "free" I
	    really don't want to do.

	3.  Ask my feeds, those I feed, other connections to poll me
	    while I store work until they do.  It's still costing
	    them money, time etc.

	4.  Hold a work until preset times and then spit it out
	    in one big chunk at night.  Which will just increase the
	    lag time between someone firing off mail and getting a
	    reply.

	5.  Figure out some other way.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/solutions that you may have to my problem.  I
knew that running this thing was going to cost something, but...

The ideal situation would be to have one line full service, for outgoing
calls, the others incoming only or for systems polling me.

In the event the #3 and #4 turns out to be the most like and affordable
solution, I'd appreciate specific configuration specifications for HD
uucp under SCO 386.  Which, as near as I can tell, appears to have no
reasonable means to get uux to hold work until called for by the uusched
script.

Many thanks!
Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel at ubbs-nh.mv.com