extracting tar files with absolute pathnames relatively

Todd Karakashian todd at cfa250.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 21 08:04:55 AEST 1989

Hi,

I am in posession of tapes containing tarfiles with absolute
pathnames.  What I would like to do is to extract these files into a
different tree structure than they were tarred from.  Thus, the
tarfile /usr/foo/file should go into the disk pathname /temp/file.  I
have been unable to find a way to do this -- does anyone know how?

I am running SunOS 3.5.  I apologize if this is too simple a question.
It seems like a simple enough concept, but I haven't been able to figure
out how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

			Todd Karakashian

			Internet: todd at cfa205.harvard.edu