again

Ken Arromdee arrom at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Mon Apr 17 07:06:50 AEST 1989

Something I posted twice before.  The first time it didn't get out of jhunix
(at least, I got no responses, and I couldn't see it on aplcen).  The second
I posted to unix.wizards, realized my mistake, made another posting stating I
meant to post it to this group instead, and somehow never actually got around
to posting it here.  But anyway, here's my problem; can anyone solve it?
I have a program which is run setuid.  I want to set the uid back to the
original before exec'ing a shell.  It doesn't work.  The following illustrates
the problem (it's run on an AT&T 3B4000 with SYSV).  (uids is just a small
program to print out one's real and effective uids).
% uids
Real: user 7943 (ins_akaa), group 2048
Effective: user 7943 (ins_akaa), group 2048
% cd /s/adev/src/h/src
% cat test.c
extern unsigned short getuid();
extern unsigned short geteuid();

main()
{
        printf("Before setuid(getuid())\n");
        printf("Real UID=%d; effective UID=%d\n",
                (int)getuid(), (int)geteuid());
        setuid(getuid());
        printf("After setuid(getuid())\n");
        printf("Real UID=%d; effective UID=%d\n",
                (int)getuid(), (int)geteuid());
        execl("/bin/sh", "sh", 0);
}
% ls -l a.out
-rwsr-xr-x   1 adev     210        19905 Apr 10 23:10 a.out*
% a.out
Before setuid(getuid())
Real UID=7943; effective UID=210
After setuid(getuid())
Real UID=7943; effective UID=7943
% uids
Real: user 7943 (ins_akaa), group 2048
Effective: user 210 (adev), group 2048
% %
Note that setuid(getuid()) seems to work, but the effective uid somehow gets
set back when I do the execl().
--
               EARTH          |       --Kenneth Arromdee
           smog  |   bricks   |      UUCP: ....!jhunix!ins_akaa
        AIR     mud       FIRE|  INTERNET: arromdee at crabcake.cs.jhu.edu
      soda water |   tequila  |    BITNET: g49i0188 at jhuvm
               WATER          |(please, no mail to arrom at aplcen)
Element chart from "Science Made Stupid".  (The chart seems rather popular...)