gawk (was Re: variables in awk)

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.intel.com
Sat Apr 29 04:53:28 AEST 1989

In article <63720003 at hpl-opus.HP.COM>, steinbac at hpl-opus (Gunter Steinbach) writes:
|     And sure enough, the last two input lines produced a "match" output.  So
|     no problemo!
|
|     However, I also tried the above with the "old" awk, and it produces a
|     "syntax error near line line".  So you need the AT&T toolbox "nawk".

Or, you can get the relatively free GNU awk, which supports an
identical mechanism (in an apparently compatible syntax, amazing! :-)

(Why do I keep being the one to tell people about GNU software...  oh
well...)

Just another hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095===\
{ on contract to BiiN, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, until 30 May 1989     }