How to input to passwd from script?

Peter F. Klammer pklammer at pikes.Colorado.EDU
Wed Apr 12 03:47:20 AEST 1989

The good news: I got my UNIX C SHELL FIELD GUIDE!
The bad news: pages 281-312 are blank (sigh).

Thank you all for help and responses to "how to read
a file from csh".  I am finding my ways of thinking
becoming more accomodated to csh/pipes/unix ways of doing.
For instance, instead of reading that file, I piped it
to awk a couple times to pick out and display the interesting
lines with line numbers, and my csh script just handles a
user response of the selected line number.  Then I give that
number to another awk command and voila!, I get just the one
line that I really wanted in the first place.

I am writing a script for password/account maintenance; we
generate initial passwords around here.  I find that passwd
(the program) is kinda insistent about reading from the terminal:
it gets around redirection like:
    passwd <tmp.new
How do you get passwd to take new password inputs from a file?
--
/** --poko	" I'm half Estonian, which makes up for the other half. "
Pete Klammer/Systems Programmer/(303)556-3915	PKLAMMER at PIKES.COLORADO.EDU