AT&T source licensing - provisions for access by contractors

Al Marmora ajm at ICC.COM
Tue Apr 18 16:34:17 AEST 1989

[note - I realize that these are questions for AT&T's legal staff;  I'd just
like to get an idea of where things stand before pursuing this]

Could someone please (briefly) describe what provisions (if any) are made
in the software license agreement (commercial) for UN*X (System V Release 3)
source code for permitting access to sources by outside contractors?

More specifically:
  Is access by a contractor permitted - on licensee's CPU? on contractor's CPU?

  If access is permitted, and a product is developed for the licensee which
  is NOT derived from any AT&T licensed code, can the product be sold by the
  contractor?

  What constitutes a derivative work?  For example, if software is developed
  which conforms to an un-published (i.e. documented in the source) interface,
  is it considered to be a derivative work?

Thanks in advance.

--
Alfonso J. Marmora          Intercomputer Communications Corp.
                            8230 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, OH  45236