MNP Auto-Reliable + getty: happy accident or design?

James Carter jac at penguin.UUCP
Wed Apr 12 23:22:44 AEST 1989

In article <475 at oglvee.UUCP>, jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> Lately I've discovered that if a UNIX machine is answering the phone at 1200
> baud and the caller is calling at 2400 in MNP auto-reliable mode, the MNP
> handshake seems to toggle the receiver's getty to 2400 just like that, just
> about every time.  The modems in both cases are similar:  Multitech external
> and Multitech internal.  Both have MNP, but only the caller is in auto-

I'm pretty sure you have an accident here, but only because both of your
modems are by the same manufacturer. I have been using the MT224EH as the
only working modem on this 3B1 for about a year now, and had a devil of a
time getting it set up properly. The modem serial port is strapped for NO-AUTO-
BAUD, but the modem phone port is set to auto-baud. This forces the modem to
buffer the data, and conduct speed changes. I also had to disable the modems
own handshaking so that only the remote devices perform the xon/xoff (the
modems do pass it through, but take no action). The cable had to be correct,
the cpu port had to ignore dtr/rts/cts, the modems had to do the speed changes,
and they had to ignore stop/start, before I finally got everything to work
with lot's of different remotes.