anonymous ftp on a 3b2

Scott Hammond scott at rdahp.UUCP
Fri Apr 28 12:31:07 AEST 1989

In article <2264 at laidbak.UUCP> stevea at laidbak.UUCP (Steve Alexander) writes:
>In article <3745 at sdsu.UUCP> arul at sdsu.UUCP (Arul Ananthanarayanan) writes:
>>[/bin/ls doesn't work for anon ftp on 3b2/310, SYSV 3.1, WIN3b/2.1]

>It sounds like your ls was linked with the shared C library (-lc_s).
>In ~ftp, make a directory called ``shlib'' and copy /shlib/libc_s to
>~ftp/shlib.  That should fix the problem.

That is very interesting.  The AT&T hotline response to an identical
question though involving WIN3b/1.1 was to upgrade to a newer WIN/3b.
At the time, upgrading was not an option.  My solution was to use a
SYSV 2.1.2 /bin/ls binary from a 3b15 (my approach was trial&error
"what's wrong with ftp and ls and what can I try"), never thinking that
I was having shared library problems.  Now I know why this worked.
--
Scott Hammond,  R & D Associates, Marina del Rey, CA  (213) 822-1715
: {ksuvax1,zardoz}!rdahp!scott
:  scott at harris.cis.ksu.edu