Obsolete awk document

Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC} arnold at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Apr 4 03:07:12 AEST 1989

In article <431 at chem.ucsd.EDU> jwp at chem.ucsd.edu (John Pierce) writes:
>The current version is the one described in "The AWK Programming Language" by
>Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger (Addison-Wesley, 1988, ISBN 0-201-07981-X).  If
>you don't have this version and the book, you should get them.  Source code
>is available (I believe inexpensively) from both AT&T and Addison-Wesley; there
>is a card in the back of the book for obtaining information on how to get it.
>The original version was certainly a useful tool; this version is very much
>superior to it.

All true. If you don't want to spend any money, you can get GNU AWK from
the Free Software Foundation. A new release is due shortly. The current
version, gawk2.02beta, is (modulo some bugs) compatible with the version
in the book. The next release will fix almost all the bugs, add some
additional features not in Unix awk, notably improve performance, and
include a > 100 page texinfo manual on AWK.

Watch gnu.announce; I'll put a note there when the newest version is
available for ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu.
--
Unix is a Registered   | Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center
Bell of AT&T Trademark | DOMAIN: arnold at unix.cc.emory.edu
Laboratories.          | UUCP: gatech!emory!arnold	PHONE:	+1 404 727-7636
        -- Donn Seeley | BITNET: arnold at emoryu1		FAX:	+1 404 727-2599