Citations of research for U**x pros/cons etc

Paul Gerwitz gerwitz at eastman.UUCP
Wed Apr 26 02:51:15 AEST 1989

[  MY apologies if this is a re-post, our news software has been acting
   flaky lately. ]

I am a member of a small group of systems professionals working in Unix and
workstation technology development.  We are in need of supporting data related
to the productivity of using unix and/or workstation in the following areas:

 1. Software Development
 2. Product Development
 3. Decision SUpport Systems with operators on Factory Floor
 3. Decision Support for Management
 5. General Manufacturing Systems

I would like citations of research or similair material that contrasts the
Unix and workstation environment against traditional OS (DEC, IBM, HP etc)
environments(time sharing, interactive, batch etc).  Even though personal
opinions and observations may be offered, we need hard data to build a case
for this technology.  E-mail responses are welcome.  I will summarize and
post to the net later.