backup with compressed cpio files ?

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Sun Feb 19 07:30:26 AEST 1989

In article <13176 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <9100001 at netmuc> bothe at netmuc.UUCP writes:
>| find . -print | compress | cpio -oacB >/dev/rmt0

>	find . -print | cpio -oca | compress >/dev/rmt0

>  This works pretty well if you're willing to sacrifice performance for
>media size. Double compressed files may get larger. Compression size and

If you use this beware that a bad block in your backup media will render the
rest of the backup useless for all intents.

	compressdirv
	find . -print | cpio -oca > /dev/rmt0

is almost as good, won't try and recompress compressed files. Also if you
loose a block on your tape you will have better luck trying to get at the
rest of the tape.

If you where running SCO Xenix 2.3 with their support for error correction
on tape the other way might be suitable, but I wouldn't recommend it
otherwise.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532