Inter-machine networking on System V

Scott Southard scott at thirdi.UUCP
Sat Feb 4 14:01:33 AEST 1989

I've been living (quite happily) in a 4.[23] world in the last few years
and have enjoyed the relative ease with which I've been able to write
networking code.  Now I'm working on a product which wants to run on
System V as well as Berkeley systems, and I'm not sure how to go about
writing inter-machine networking code.  As far as I can tell, the library
routines listed in section 3N of the SysV manual (the t_* routines) are
vaporware.  Is there any portable way to do inter-machine communication
on System V?  Does the STREAMS interface currently support any networking
protocols at all?  Any information on how others have dealt with this would
be much appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Scott Southard		  Third Eye Software		pyramid!thirdi!scott
 Disclaimer:  My boss is weirder than I am; what does he care what I think?