wyse-guys (was Re: using width terminals on BSD4.2)

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.intel.com
Fri Feb 10 03:43:49 AEST 1989

In article <1824 at cerberus.oakhill.UUCP>, hunter at oakhill (Hunter Scales) writes:

| 	I have a wyse-60 terminal at home that I use to log in to
| 	a Sun 3/280 at work.  I would like to use the 132 column mode
| 	on the wyse.  So far, I have re-written the termcap entry to
| 	allow the ANSI cursor movement sequence, and set stty cols to 132.
| 	This *almost* works.  The symptoms are: when using vi, the
| 	editor seems to be confused as to where the cursor is and will
| 	often (but not always ) print characters in the wrong places on
| 	the screen.  Since I regularly rlogin from my workstation at
| 	work to other and use large windows in Suntools and have had
| 	no problems, I conclude that the problem has something to do
| 	with the serial port and/or serial drivers.  Has anybody conquered
| 	this problem?

I'm typing on a silly Wyse 50 terminal right now.  I presume the 60 is
similar.  To get to columns greater than 95, you need to modify the
termcap entry so it uses the alternate form of cursor addressing.
(Sometimes, vi is out there by virtue of having printed characters,
but whenever it needs to get out there *directly*, you lose... hence
the intermittent nature of your problem.)

Specifically, for the 50:

  :cm=\E=%+ %+ :

is the way to get to cols 1-95 (since the column number is encoded
ASCII, and wraps after 95), while

  :cm=\Ea%i%dR%dC:

is the way to get to cols 1-132, since the column number is a decimal
integer.  Notice that this is longer, and will take more time a low
baud rates.  Too bad.

I just noticed that the /etc/termcap on our system uses the first 'cm'
for the wy50 entry, and the second for the wy60.  I don't know if
someone locally patched it... you might check.

Of course, if you are already using the longer cm, good luck.
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon, USA.