File Write Permission Rules

Robert Claeson prc at maxim.ERBE.SE
Tue Feb 14 03:15:18 AEST 1989

In article <9627 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <306 at wubios.wustl.edu> david at wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> >My question is:  What is the (historical or otherwise) justification for
> >this rule?  It seems wrong.  I would have required write permission to
> >the file itself in order that it be removed.

> I don't know what you think of when you say "file", so let's talk
> about inodes instead.  One does NOT need to "write" (i.e. modify)
> the contents of an inode in order to remove the link to it from
> another (directory) inode, but one DOES need to be able to modify
> the directory inode.

I think that what David meant is that it would make more sense to let
all objects in the file system have its own attributes, instead of
relying on the directory permissions for some things. And I agree --
it certainly makes more sense to have a "delete" attribute on a file,
which must be set in order for me to remove it. And I'd like to add
an "append" attribute to the list.

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf