Getting rid of a <defunct> process

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Mon Feb 13 10:11:29 AEST 1989

In article <27866 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd at bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:

><defunct> processes (also called "zombies") definitely take up process
>table entries and probably take up many more resources.  Exactly what
>a zombie process holds depends on the operating system implementation.

You betcha!  We were getting a bit bogged-down on our uVAX, with a
no-load load of 1.0.  Then somebody who knew suggested doing a shutdown
-r to kill the zombies.  Thirty minutes and one reboot later (it's a
_big_ uVAX), the no-load load was at 0.03.  Yow.  Speeds up everything
from logins to buggy Spice.

The word is apparently to do a shutdown every few weeks to kill
all the zombies.

				--Blair
				  "That, or wear garlic around
				   your neck...no, that's how