vnodes (was Re: Out of gnodes, solution found.)

Ho paulho at ihlpa.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 22 07:02:56 AEST 1989

> Vnodes aren't limited to "normally mounted file systems" (by which I
> presume you mean UNIX-style file systems on local disks) and NFS mounted
> file systems, and I think gnodes aren't, either.  They're both intended
> as general mechanisms to support various types of OS objects that behave
> like file systems and like files/directories on file systems; they can
> support multiple kinds of local file systems (V7/S5, 4.2BSD, MS-DOS,
> Files-11, etc.), multiple kinds of remote file systems (NFS, AT&T's RFS,
> etc.), and multiple kinds of weird file systems ("/proc", which gives
> you a view of the system process table and the systems processes; etc.).

Can someone explain what is the difference between vnode and SVR3 inode?

By that, I mean, in (around) SVR3.1, with the File System Switch,
the inode is splitted into system dependent inode and system independent
inode, and they sure can handle all kinds of weird file systems as
listed by Guy.  So, is vnode still better?

Thanks.