Convergent Mini & Mega-frame supplies

John B Scalia jb at aablue.UUCP
Thu Feb 23 01:42:12 AEST 1989

Sorry about the bandwidth, but I tried to e-mail this and the mailer got
bounced. This is for <k36851m at santra.hut.fi>. To avoid a couple of filled
screens, press "n" now.

This is liable to be a little long-winded, but hopefully informative.

As a long-time CT user. -- We currently use an S/640, Mightyframe -- I'm
fairly familiar with all of CT's product line. From your descriptions it
sounds as though you have the "C" and "B" enclosures with your used system.

In order to connect the two platforms, I'll quote the cute brochure I have:

	"Active bus repeaters provide a fully buffered interconnect
	 between expansion enclosures. the repeaters occupy special
	 slots on the system bus and do not use the six standard
	 slots per cabinet."

My price sheet shows these items as catalog number BR-100, however, there
is no unbundled price here. The only reference in the price sheet shows
that 2 of these are included it the CG-8200B Expansion Enclosure - $9,670
U.S. Needless to say that's rather steep. You'll also need the Expansion
Enclosure Cable, I believe, price $430 U.S. The part number for the cable
is FPX-100.

Regarding the tape drive, the "C" cabinet is supposed to include a 1/4"
QIC tape drive and controller. The drive is part number QC-100 and the
controller card is part number QT-100. Again, unfortunately, there is no
unbundled price for each component. The combination is available as a
customer add-on under part number QC-151, price $3670 U.S.

If you wish to drive 1/2" tape drives, ie. PERTEC compatible devices, you
will need another cabinet known as the "X" cabinet. It goes by the reference
of "Data Processor /SMD" cabinet, part number CG-8200E price $14,300 U.S.
I'm not sure if the 2 cards that actually make up this cabinet can be
installed in another cabinet, either "C" or "B", however, the price sheet
does show these available as separate. The actual card containing the
drive interface is SP-400-1, the Storage Processor, $4,160 U.S.

Sorry, this is all I know about the unit, short of typing in the entire
sales sheet and price catalog. I would be happy to send you a copy of
both using regular mail. Another alternative, depends on what you intend
in the immediate future; I'll be at CEBIT next month and could hand
deliver this information and discuss any other problems with the unit
you might have.
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who