simple question about mv

Jay M. Libove root at libove.UUCP
Thu Feb 2 12:04:41 AEST 1989

>From article <18216 at adm.BRL.MIL>, by DEG41560 at ua1vm.ua.edu (Rob Smith):
> HI,
>
>  I know this is simple, but then again, so am I.  What if I want to mv a
> bunch of files with the same suffix to another suffix. The following does
> not work
>
>     mv *.flip *.flop
>
> what does?  I'm under Ultrix 2.2.  I'm doing it by hand, but I'd like to
> be able to do wild card renames, ala DOS.
>
>                                          Thanks,
>                                             Rob.

Some time back (the files are copyright 1986), mcvoy at cs.wisc.edu wrote
a pair of utilities called "move" and "copy" which would work as:

% ls *.flip
a.flip b.flip cc.flip dddd.flip e.flip
% move =.flip =.flop
mv a.flip a.flop
mv b.flip b.flop
mv cc.flip cc.flop
mv dddd.flip dddd.flop
mv e.flip e.flop
%

I am pretty sure that it is in the comp.sources.misc or comp.sources.unix
archives, but if you can't find it, then I can mail it or it can be
fetched off of my machine (by prior arrangement).
--
Jay Libove		jl42 at andrew.cmu.edu, libove at cs.cmu.edu,
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	sei.cmu.edu!libove!libove, jl42 at andrew.BITnet,