Ultrix: out of gnodes

DHASKIN%CLARKU.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu DHASKIN%CLARKU.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu
Fri Feb 17 07:59:48 AEST 1989

Help!  I have a call in to DEC/Atlanta on this but they're notoriously slow and
I was hoping someone out there may have encountered this before.

We're moving our Ultrix system to another uVAX II (actually a II/GPX) so that
we can install workstation software with it.  To do so I built a new kernel on
the old system (also a MicroVAX II but with a different device configuration)
and physically moved the boot disk to the new machine.  It boots just fine and
runs fine in single-user mode.  I can't tell if it's shortly after I go into
multiuser mode or when I try to do anything substantial in multiuser mode ("ps"
in this case counts as substantial) but the system goes bananas with console
messages such as "gnode: table is full" and "out of gnodes".

I have discerned that gnodes are DEC's equivalent of inodes, but why is this
happening and what can I do?  Do I need to rebuild the kernel with something
tweaked?  Do I need to rebuild the file system?  What should I be looking at?
The documentation is, as usual, skimpy.

Any enlightenment would be welcomed, and I will of course summarize responses
to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Denis Haskin

p.s. You may also try to reach me as denis at bambam.wellesley.