sockets vs. STREAMS, also intermachine networking on SV

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 04:42:55 AEST 1989

In article <506 at gonzo.UUCP> daveb at gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:

>The main reason you want a
>stream pipe is so you can use poll() in your server, which is supposed
>to pay attention to a number of connected clients. Now SVR3 has no
>generically supported method for doing this as far as I can tell.

I don't understand your question. The poll() system call in SVR3 works
like BSD's select() except that you can only apply it to STREAMS
file descriptors. A file descriptor obtained by opening a (full
duplex) connection through /dev/spx IS a STREAMS file descriptor.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com